Pages

Sunday, March 11, 2012

For the first time in my life I will not "Spring Forward"

The UAE doesn't do daylight savings time, so I am now only 10 hours ahead of Alberta, Canada instead of the 11 that I was a few days ago! I did some research to figure out why they don't do the daylight savings time over here and came up with this answer..........

They don't want to save any daylight!!!!!!

The day is fairly consistent here throughout the year with the longest and the shortest day only being an hour and a half difference(compared to Canada where its like a 6 hour difference!!!!)

The reasoning is that it gets so HOT here in the summer that they don't want to delay the sun going down until 8pm, because literally nobody comes out of their houses until sundown when things start to cool off and the shops open up again!!!!! So normally that happens between 6:30-7:15 ish and that gives people the extra hour to do things that they need to get done before they go to bed for the night. To spring forward once a year would just mean that they lose an hour of getting stuff done!!!!!!

During Ramadan they aren't allowed to eat or drink while the sun is up, so why the heck would they delay it by an hour changing clocks around, the people are starving as it is by the time the sun goes down!!!!

So yes.....for the first time in my life I'm not going to lose an hour of sleep in the springtime. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. 

2 comments:

  1. nice read! For me it was the opposite - I had to figure out the logic behind DST. 6 years on, er..not totally sure I get it, but it's fun to change all the tens of clocks / watches and anticipate an extra hour of sleep once a year ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insight Rach on " Spring Forward" versus "Staying Put". I can totally see why they would not change, I'm sure in the heat of the summer months they welcome the darkness to cool off and do business!!! Must admit though i love April/May/June and July when days are light until 10/10:30 pm ! xoxox

    ReplyDelete