Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Talk to your taxi driver

If you know me, you know that I never stop talking..........ever! Unless I'm mad of course and then if I've gotten to the point where I'm silent then you're really in trouble!!

So I find it FASCINATING to chat with my taxi drivers here in Abu Dhabi, and most of them are more than willing to share stories, tidbits and chat about life in Abu Dhabi. So this is what I've learned this week.
-The gossip from my Indian taxi driver about his friend who is dating a Phillipino girl but won't marry her(or perhaps CAN'T marry her) my driver was of the opinion that they'd been dating five years and he should just marry her already or break up!!!
-I learned the words in Arabic for fog and penis(yes that's right my immature friends I said penis)  The two apparently sound very similar and my lady driver was telling me a story where she radioed in and said there is too much penis rather than too much fog. BIG OOPS!!!!!( but also quite hilarious!!!) Samoura is fog and Shamoura is penis. Who knew!?
-I also learned the Arabic phrase for F-You...but I won't post that here.
- I got to use my very scarce Arabic when one of the drivers thanked me in Arabic. Shukran is thank you and Afwan is you're welcome.  
-I saw pictures of my lady driver's kids, two of which are nurses and we discussed the HAAD exams that foreign nurses have to take here.
-Also saw pictures of Pakistan and the mountain region which by the way looks quite beautiful!!!! I didn't even know there were mountains in Pakistan so I learned something new that day. 
-Learned the short cut to Reese's dance class which cuts at least five minutes off the drive!

So yeah, talk to your taxi drivers people! It makes the time pass quickly and they have some very entertaining things to talk about :)

No comments:

Post a Comment