Pages

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Rainbow Cake= Epic Fail!!!!

So any of you that are on Pinterest likely have seen the rainbow cake. It looks fun, tasty and I thought Reese would love it. Like so many before me I figured, how hard can it really be?

Now let's look at reason #1 that this was destined to fail

1.) I can't bake. Now anyone who knows me well knows this is true. You've all suffered through my cakes and cookies and the only thing I CAN make which tastes fairly normal is muffins!!! I can bake a mean muffin, but everything else is a disaster. So why the heck did I think I could bake a RAINBOW cake!? Well because it basically called for Betty Crocker cake mix and frosting, as in, I only had to mix it in with the liquid ingredients, how could I possibly screw that up!? Which leads us to reason #2 this was destined to fail.....

2.) I used coloured icing rather than gel or food colouring. I figured it was not "quite" as toxic, but apparently you don't get a good rainbow cake if you don't want toxic....my bad. Our colours were very pastel looking and not bright like the ones in the pictures!

Our "rainbow" cake ended up being a white cake slightly tinted a bit green with some pink and yellow sections to it. The green and the blue colours mostly disappeared during the baking process and then the middle of it fell(as my cakes normally do) and I slightly overdid the top of it.

It tasted like....cake from the box and we ate it but we won't be trying again!!!!!! My body did NOT like how it felt after eating the cake and I think we'll stick to strawberries for dessert instead!

My friend Kelly over at a A Swell Place to Dwell tried this too and it didn't quite work out as planned  From what I remember about when we lived together in college she's a MUCH better baker than I am, so if hers didn't turn out, I'm not sure what possessed me to try!!!! Boredom?? The heat? I'm going with those as my defence :) However if you go and check out Kelly's you can see that her cake definitely had colour!!!!! I didn't even take a picture of mine because it was SO pathetic ;)

Here's the link from Pinterest :) In case any of you are bored and want to give it a whirl. If you make it work PLEASE let me know!!!!!!!

The Rainbow Cake

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I'm convinced the cake was a failure, there is no picture :)


    P.S. The colors of the rainbow cake frighten me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahahaha. Seriously...we could start a cake fail blog!

    ReplyDelete