Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Our "Reconnaissance" Mission to Abu Dhabi

Well it was an enjoyable week in Abu Dhabi! The traffic was better than I expected, I never had a cab without a working seatbelt, I didn't get ridiculously lost and I got to go to the beach in NOVEMBER!! For this Canadian that was a first :)

Here are some reviews of the places we stayed and things that we did. First off, our hotel. The staff was absolutely lovely, they really made the whole experience positive for us. I was quite disappointed in the hotel because when I think Hilton I think of luxury. This hotel is clean, and I can't complain about anything  because it had comfortable beds, a fridge in the room and all the right amenities, it just wasn't what I was expecting from Hilton!!!!
The concierge is truly a wonderful man, he helped us catch taxis and relayed messages for us and made our entire experience easier on our first trip to Abu Dhabi. The breakfast buffet was NOT included but it was fabulous :)
There was a pool which we didn't use, we decided to head to the parks and the beaches instead.
Overall I was happy with our stay in the hotel but I think they need to update their internet and I always get annoyed when I have to pay for it at a hotel!!!!!
Hilton Corniche Apartments

Onto restaurants, ahhhh the restaurants. I never thought I'd say this but I'm sick of eating Italian food!!!! I ate Thai, Mexican, Lebanese and Indian when I was in Abu Dhabi and I was thrilled :) I also had Italian one night! So here are a few places that we ate.

Boccaccio Italian Restaurant at the Intercontinental Hotel
Well the food was good, but not as good as here in Italy. But definitely a forerunner for the Melton/Grier/Burwell Pizza night!! Since it was at a hotel you could have the necessary glass of wine or beer with your meal. The setting was magical with the marina right there and the low lighting. What kind of ruined it for us though was the shisha bar next door, the fumes kept wafting into our table with gave two of our party headaches before the end of the meal. Perhaps indoors next time??
Boccaccio

Next up is Tiara
Tiara is located in the Marina Mall at the top of the tower. The restaurant revolves and so you get the entire 360 degree view over the course of your meal. And what a gorgeous view it was!! The Abu Dhabi skyline at night is quite stunning. The food was absolutely fabulous and the staff was friendly and efficient. The only downside: not licensed. It was a bit strange to have such a nice meal without the glass of wine after living in Italy!!!!
Tiara

The Mexican Restaurant in Khalidiya Mall- CANTINA LOREDO
I ate here twice during my visit because it was THAT good!!! I had spinach salad with raspberries both times and the second time I also shared the *very unhealthy* Loredo Fries which are to die for but you can feel your arteries clogging as you eat them :) They make some kick ass guocamole there as well right in front of you at the table, its delicious. The only downside is the AC is freezing since its in a mall and they are unlicensed so no Corona to go with your fabulous mexican food!!!
Cantina Loredo






No comments:

Post a Comment